Friday, October 11, 2013

Key West: The Begining

So what have we been doing since we arrived on September 1st?  What has been keeping me from blogging? 


Let me tell you all about it.

When we pulled up in front of our new place on the first we wasted no time in unloading the truck (this was Mark's decision to just push through - if it were up to me we would have just curled up with the cats on the floor of the new place for a few hours.  Luckily, our friend Johnny came over to help so it actually went pretty quickly.  Then I stayed in our apartment somewhere amid the towers of boxes and dissasembled furniture while Mark and Johnny made the 2 hour round trip to Big Pine to drop off the truck.  We spent the rest of the day making heads and tails of our stuff so that we could get a good nights sleep.  It was wonderful and we woke up that Monday morning to celebrate Labor Day with a lot more unpacking and a grill out at the beach complete with some older drunk gentlemen with a spear gun (we did not see anyone injured and, in fact, we later saw them catching lobsters with their hands and giving them to people).

Just like that the weekend was over and Mark had to be back to work on Wednesday morning so the cats and I enjoyed our new surroundings and kept unpacking.

The cats grew tired of unpacking pretty quickly and found some nice places to nap.

Willie naps in secret in the bottom of the bookcase behind the couch.

We call him Long Paws, Leeroy Long Paws.

The cats were especially excited to be back together with Mark and made a special point to sleep in his clothes.

Really everyday for the first week or so was the same.  We woke up about 7, Mark went to work and I unpacked and organized.

Saturday, September 10th we took a break from all of the unpacking and went to make some friends. Mark joined the South Florida Jeep Club and they were meeting about 2 hours away at a Cuban juice shop owned by one of their families and then caravaning down to Key West to enjoy the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square.  We made a short trip to K-Mart to gather some supplies like another swimsuit for Mark (he doesn't love the snazzy green plaid one I picked out for him) and some camping chairs, oh, we also took a moment for this to happen...

Skeletons love to make jazz hands.

Once on our way we headed up the keys for a nice trip and some fresh juice, guava for me and pineapple for Mark It was a nice event, domino's were played and prizes were given but weren't able to hang with the folks all day because we were exhausted and still had lots of stuff to do to get our place into shape.  Oh, and don't worry, on the way back we did manage to stop at Baby's Coffee to pick up a bag of locally roasted coffee beans - you know, because somehow, overnight, we've both become coffee drinkers.  Nothing like a hot cup of coffee in the morning when it's 90 degrees out.  I am blaming the Cubans.

A boy and his Jeep
The big blue one - that was called SinWagon.  Yeah, SinWagon.
What did we have to do? We had to do was to finish building a loft for our bed so that we could reclaim some of the floor space it was taking up in our bedroom. Do you see our favorite visitor?
Peek A Boo
 Yep, our favorite handy friend, Unicorn, dropped by for a visit.  He just couldn't wait to check out our new place and give Mark and Johnny a hand building our loft.

Unicorn was a little worried about the somewhat unsafe methods Mark and Johnny were using while cutting and assembling most of the pieces at Johnny's place.


Willie gave final approval for the completion of the loft.

Now that it's all completed it looks great and has freed up some time to do other things. Like...

Mark was able to make lots of visits to the skate park.

I was able to get out my craft and sewing stuff and start working on a few projects. 

When Leeroy would allow it...

We had time to get totally wasted on down on Duval St.  JUST KIDDING.  That's not really our thing, but we did have totally sober fun posing like this in front of the Customs House/Art Museum after taking in a movie at the Tropic Cinema and then heading home around 9:30.

Reenacting how many tourists spend their time in Key West.

I even had time to talk Mark into trimming my hair.

Phew.  It's been a busy few weeks but things are starting to calm down.Please pardon us while we nap.

Cat nap.

1 comment:

  1. woohoo! Welcome back to your blog! Also, please please please don't cut your heads off on that fan above the bed. Loft looks awesome! I do like how you saved that corner for a cat ledge. Thanks for the catch up on what you've been doing.