If you are an avid reader of my blog, which I know you are, you know a little bit about what I like to eat. You definitely know about my skillet nachos (revisit them here) and you saw my dinner from the early Crane Days here. You read about my Gluten Free-ness here.(Did you get checked?) You saw my food failures here (no, I still haven't regained a fear of all things microwave) and recently, you saw many homemade and non-homemade food successes here.
But I'm not always the creative food genius you encountered in the posts linked above. Sometimes I sit and think about what to make for dinner and I can think of all of the things we've eaten recently but i have this vague feeling that we used to eat different stuff. I believe I am, as they say, stuck in a rut. That is why I'm glad I have this...
In this (incredibly awesome) notebook(given to me by Becca) I started a list of meals that we like to eat. When mark and I first started dating I had an awesome chalkboard back splash (sigh, I miss it) and I would list about 5 meals that I had the ingredients to make and then I would let him choose what I would make when he got there. Then as we would eat meals I would write down the ones we liked so i would remember to make them again. After we moved I sort of just forgot about it and stopped using the notebook - until now. I was board with the same few things I've been making lately so I went to look for some oldies (and update the notebook with some new things we like to eat)
So, the list of things we (both) like to eat so far includes:
- Tuna Melts, tomato soup and a veggie (green)
- Brat, Sauerkraut, Mashed potatoes, veggie (peppers and onions)
- Spaghetti squash w/ sauce (prego w/ onion added, maybe peppers and tomatoes too) and occasionally Trader Joe's Gluten Free Meatballs
- Skyline! Change ups: hot mett, beans, American cheese, onion and/or rice
- Stir Fry! Poss. Ingredients: chicken, broccoli, pineapple, green beans, snap peas, carrots,onions, habeneros (pretty much anything) San-J sauces since most are Gluten Free - Szechuan is best!
- Chicken Curry (modified recipe from here)
- Chicken and Cherries (modified recipe from here)
- Tacos! (same as nachos - just different arrangement)
I thought we were eating pretty well but this list just looks kind of sad to me. I swear we eat other things - I just can't think of them now. You believe me, right?
So that's why I'm glad I have the other two sections of the note book.
The first is called "Things I'd like to learn to use" which includes foods like ...
- Great Northern Beans
- Squash (These recipes have gotten me using a lot more zucchini)
- beets (I kinda already did this here)
- rutabaga and radish (all root veggies really)
- Dried peas
The final section of the book is called "Meals I'd like to try" which are really just ideas for future meals which include...
- Tuna Melts and Asparagus
- Tofu fried rice and edamame
- Quesadilla Casserole
- Turkey, rutabaga and avocado wrap
- Scramble spaghetti
- red beans and rice (this used to be a staple of mine but I forget how to make it)
- baked acorn squash with apples and chicken side
- Bi Bim Bap
- BBQ, coleslaw and kale chips
So I guess the moral of the story is that I need to get back to Britney and bringing a little excitement to the kitchen.